NXP's TV543 iDigital TV Now Has Dolby Multistream Decoder
Dolby Laboratories, best known for high-quality audio and surround sound technology announced that NXP Semiconductors has become the first semiconductor company to successfully implement the new Dolby Multistream Decoder-also known as the Dolby MS10 Multistream Decoder-with its TV543 iDTV single-chip system solution. The Multistream Decoder implementation and system kits are available starting today.
The Dolby Multistream Decoder is a licensable multiformat audio decoding technology that supports Dolby Digital Plus and HE AAC-based Dolby Pulse in a single package for next-generation HDTVs and set-top boxes for playback of content from traditional broadcast and operator sources, as well as the Internet, USB devices, game consoles, and PCs.
The NXP TV543 features an integrated MPEG-4/H.264 decoder to enable reception and decoding of MPEG-4/H.264 SD and HD content; IP/Internet content delivery to the home; and the new conditional access CI+ security standard-all on a single-chip DTV platform.
"The TV543 platform has set a benchmark for the best HD picture quality and we felt that the best way to complement this achievement was to incorporate an equally high-definition audio technology through the Dolby Multistream Decoder," said Paul Sandberg, Senior Vice President, BU Home Global Marketing and Sales at NXP Semiconductors. "The implementation process was greatly aided by Dolby`s support and technical expertise in the area of audio decoding. NXP is committed to partnering with companies like Dolby to bring superb audio technology to our future solutions to ensure best-in-class audio experiences for consumers."
"We`re excited that NXP Semiconductors recognizes the benefits that the Dolby Multistream Decoder will bring to its OEM customers. It offers an elegant audio decoding solution to ensure that audiences will have a consistent and high-quality audio experience," said Tom Daily, Executive Director of Marketing at Dolby Laboratories.
Key Benefits of the Dolby Multistream Decoder Include:
- Full compatibility with Dolby metadata and consumers` existing DVD-based home theater systems with all transmission formats
- Full multichannel support (transcoder) for Dolby Pulse in addition to Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus decoding and conversion-one Dolby Digital output for all input formats
- Support for audio description services delivered "receiver-mix" style using two simultaneous instances of Dolby Pulse, Dolby Digital, or Dolby Digital Plus decoders, respectively-all for the price of a single decoder instance
- Support for multiprogram Dolby Digital Plus streams (main and associated audio delivered in the same audio stream)
- Ability to decode AAC, HE AAC, and HE AAC v.2 bitstreams