Entropic Unveils Chipset For Set-Top Box Market
Entropic has launched a new System-on-Chip solution for set-top box (STB) market. The new “TSC17x/18x” STB SoC family features a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processors and advanced security to provide the latest platform for service operators and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). It offers support for a wide range of mobile software technologies such as Google Android 4.0 “Ice Cream Sandiwich” and established industry security standards (NOCS, CSA3, AES, NDS NSK etc).
List of the TSC17x/18x features:
- High Performance Application Execution Platform: High computational power provided by a 1GHz dual-core 5000DMIPS ARM Cortex-A9 processor with NEON SIMD extensions is ideal for open application frameworks and advanced user interface technologies
- Ecosystem Advantage: Extensive mobile device ecosystem support centered around the ARM architecture leveraging the latest industry-wide investments in platform software and user experience technologies including Google Android(R) 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" operating system
- Extensive Security Support: Enables hardened implementations of digital rights management (DRM) and conditional access (CA) technologies for protecting operator video services with the following security schemes natively embedded in its hardware: NDS NSK, Nagravision NOCS, CSA3, AES, RSA, baseband watermarking, and Cryptography Research International's CryptoFirewall core technology
- Advanced Graphics Capabilities: Leverages advanced 3D architecture with full OpenGLES 2.0 compliance, proven performance, mature APIs and an extensive developer ecosystem
- Broad Format HD Content Decoding: Ensures STB compatibility for HD resolutions with commonly used online video on demand (VOD) and over-the-top (OTT) services, including native support for VP8 codec
- Powerful Video Decoder and Display Processing: Provides native support for the latest stereoscopic MVC (multi-view video coding), SVC (scalable video codec) and RealD 3DTVdecoding and picture formatting
- Enhanced Power Management: Delivers a smaller footprint and achieves 1GHz operation in low-power fabrication process mode for low power consumption, not available from competing solutions
"Our latest set-top box SoC portfolio enables MSOs to quickly and cost-effectively deploy high-performance multimedia-rich products by leveraging our cable and IP-client solutions that address evolving global digital TV standards," said Mark Samuel, senior vice president, Set-top Box Group, Entropic Communications.