OpenTV to Showcase Next Generation Television at IBC 2009
OpenTV will be demonstrating some of its next generation television solutions at this year’s IBC show at the RAI in Amsterdam. The solutions are designed to allow service providers to cost-effectively deploy advanced television services and enable a next generation digital television experience, the solutions allow operators to provide their subscribers with a unique and robust viewing experience enabling the effective discovery and viewing of the content they want to watch.
"There is a fundamental shift in the way people are watching television; now more than ever it is at the center of the home entertainment experience, an extension to the lives of people who watch it,” said Ben Bennett, OpenTV’s Chief Executive Officer. "To address this shift in viewing and social habits we are bringing the latest technologies and functionalities in support of next generation services to the television. They are the building blocks for the television of tomorrow and the cornerstone components for any operator wishing to deploy a next generation platform for the connected home.”
Visitors to the OpenTV stand in Hall 1 Stand C81 will be able to experience technology that is at the center of what's next in television through demonstrations of OpenTV’s solutions for the launch of next generation television services, including: innovative search and recommendation, "Smart PVR,” "multi-room” content sharing, social networking, widgets, and advanced advertising solutions designed to effectively monetize television services.
Highlights of the demonstrations on display include:
- A "smart search” approach to discovery and recommendation of content: OpenTV’s integrated search solution provides seamless access across multiple content sources (broadcast, on-demand, and over-the-top content), and takes the headache out of searching for programming, allowing a viewer to discover and view the content they really feel like watching according to moods or tastes;
- Social network and Web services integration to augment the relevancy of content recommendations and differentiate viewing experience with real-time interactivity;
- Over-the-top Video allowing network operators to deploy new services and enrich the TV viewing experience by leveraging their subscribers’ existing broadband connections and add subscription, catch-up, or pay-per-view VOD with progressive playback capability via Pull VOD, as well as widgets and Web content (e.g.: News/weather/sports, Twitter™ or Facebook® social media);
- "Smart PVR,” based on OpenTV’s robust and scalable PVR solution, enables a continuous start-over experience across a viewer’s favorite channels; viewers can record up to eight of their favorite channels simultaneously for 24 hours or more, allowing them to watch not just one channel, but multiple time-shifted channels simultaneously. Smart PVR recorded content can be browsed using a linear list, or can be pre-sorted by relevancy to provide the viewer with easy access to their favorite content quickly and easily;
- A "multi-room” demonstration featuring Network Attached Storage (NAS) based PVR as a cost effective solution to extend PayTV services to other screens and provide seamless content sharing with connected home devices based on industry standards such as UPnP and DLNA;
- Integrated advanced advertising solutions, showing how new forms of television advertising such as video-on-demand advertising, interactive ads and addressable advertising are seamlessly integrated into the new television environment and enable new TV advertising capabilities;
- OpenTV’s entry-level campaign management solution, OpenTV Eclipse®, aimed at emerging linear ad insertion operation for cable and IPTV operators as well as next generation campaign management solutions aimed at helping operators further monetize their content distribution through the management of addressable commercial insertions across all delivery platforms including VOD and PVR;
- Set-top box measurement illustrating how measurement enhances the understanding of all forms of television consumption including video-on-demand, PVR, interactive applications, and user interfaces.
- A participation services platform which eases the deployment of interactive services such as interactive ads, voting and polling, by consistently and securely gathering real time feedback from viewers.
OpenTV’s IBC 2009 showcase will also feature live services offered by existing OpenTV customers from around the world. OpenTV senior executives and sales and product marketing staff will be on site for meetings, demonstrations, and discussions. More information can be found on OpenTV’s IBC 2009 mini-site at www.opentv.com/ibc2009. Follow us on Twitter @opentv_at_ibc.
OpenTV is one of the world’s leading providers of advanced digital television solutions dedicated to creating and delivering compelling viewing experiences to consumers of digital content worldwide. The company’s software has been integrated in more than 133 million devices around the world, and enables advanced program guides, video-on-demand, personal video recording, interactive and addressable advertising and a variety of enhanced television applications. For more information, please visit www.opentv.com.